Saturday, December 27, 2008

Evening Journey Home.....

I had to work yesterday, which meant I had to drive in to work and home again on snowy, icy roads. Hayman led the way early yesterday morning in his truck and I followed him out of the valley. When heading home from work, I was on my own, but by then the county road grader had made it to our road and graded the road all the way into the valley, which made driving a bit easier. As I turned off the highway yesterday evening onto our gravel road, these large gentleman were in my way. Several of these large bulls were crossing my path, so I stopped to let them make their way across the road. (my camera was very cold from being in the car all day.....so it really gave me fits when I started taking photos.) They were so commanding, standing there in the cold and snow!

On the other side of the hill, I encountered these lovely young ladies. They were making their way to the rest of the herd which was up the road further ahead of them.......these gals were in a hurry and would not stop long enough to pose for a photo.......


The sunset was beautiful!


I was about to put my camera away when I rounded the next little bend in the road and noticed these lovely creatures in our hay field. I slowed way down and tried my best to sneak up on them...they spotted me and started to flee. I turned off the engine and sat for a bit waiting for them to settle down again. Then I climbed out of the car and stood on the running-board to snap a few photos. (when the camera hit the cold air, it started acting up again, so the photos are not very clear, but I wanted to share them anyway.)

The herd of deer was pretty good size...lots of does and yearlings and two bucks that I could count. I tried to get a photo of the buck, but between the camera giving me fits and him not standing still long enough to shoot a photo, I became frustrated and gave up.





I sat and watched the herd until I saw headlights in my rear view mirror, then I decided it was time to head on home. Good thing too as Hayman was starting to wonder where I was. Sometimes I get caught up in the beauty around me and simply forgot about the time.


As I started the car and pulled away, the deer started running off.....I snapped one last shot, then headed on to my nice warm home and family.








11 comments:

Jeannelle said...

Oh, Deserthen.....these photos are fabulous! I'm sorry you have to deal with snowy roads to drive on, but what fun for us to see these winter scenes from your area!

How far do you have to drive to go to work?

DesertHen said...

Hello Jeanelle,

I have to travel about 30 miles one way to get to work. So 60 miles round trip for me five days a week. It is a beautiful drive though, especially now with all of the snow on the ground. I have had a fear of driving in/on snow for many,many years, but that seems to be subsiding a bit as I drive on in more and more. I just take it slow and easy and watch out for all of the others that are in such a hurry. Enjoy your weekend.....are you getting snow there today?

Anonymous said...

Hello, Mother checking in on your blog!!! I do enjoy reading all of the coments, your stories and seeing the wonderful pictures you take with that "good" camera. Keep up the good work and your talent is amazing!!! Thanks for sharing the story about the peanut butter fudge, it seems like yesterday that it all took place, but we do know that 39 years have passed so quickly!!! M

Lisa Loo said...

wow--60 miles round trip??!! But I do enjoy your journey! Thanx for sharing..

Messy Jess said...

I do envy a sight of your world.
It's beautiful.

Gail said...

What beautiful scenery on the way to work, how do you ever get there on time?

Jeannelle said...

I had to come back to nab your cool bull & sunset photo for my screen background for awhile! And, I see you mentioned the distance you drive to work. Wow, that's quite a ways, but with the great scenery, good roads, and a decent vehicle it probably wouldn't be so bad. Glad to hear you are getting more relaxed driving in the snowy conditions. Once one gets accustomed to it, its not so bad.

Believe it or not, today we had RAIN, and lots of snow has melted! Temps have hovered near freezing all day, making the sidewalks and even the grass very slippery! My daughter and son-in-law decided not to drive back to their home near Des Moines today because of slick roads.

Once again....great photos! Take care!

Anonymous said...

gracious! Wondeful of Hayman to lead the way! Our county was off yesterday, so Trapper was too. Lovely pics of the mulies...glad you made it home safe and sound!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Thanks for sharing your daily life and vistas that you encounter every day. I do so enjoy seeing the photos and reading your commentary and thoughts.
Your photos were lovely, especially the running cows with the sunset.

I share your love of nature and getting caught up in the moment, too. It's nothing for me to lose track of time while outside....

~Lisa
New Mexico

Egghead said...

Great shots of those bulls and the deer. The deer all lined up almost look like Santa's reindeer.

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Oh My! I LOVE the sunset picture!! And the snow is so beautiful....at YOUR house! Keep it, Ok?
All the critters on the move, were so they could stay warm silly! Only the bulls are 'bullish' enough to think they are so tough!
:) (imagine that...)