Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Wordfull Wednesday......

Wordfull Wednesday is hosted by Cocoa over at Chocolate On My Cranium
This weeks Wordfull Wednesday Topic is: Favorite Christmas Song, Carol or Hymn.
I pretty much like all Christmas music. I grew up listening to various artists that mom would have playing at the holidays. I loved the Andrew's Sisters and their version of "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" or Bing Crosby singing "White Christmas" and I also loved the Chipmunks Christmas albums. One of the first songs that I learned to play on the piano was "Away in a Manger" and it is probably the only song that I can still play today. But when it comes right down to picking a favorite, I would have to say that my favorite song is "Carol of the Bells." I like the traditional well enough, but my favorite version is one done by The Trans-Siberian Orchestra. (you can go down to the bottom of my playlist to hear this song.) I love this version of the song....no lyrics, just instrumental and oh how it can lift my mood! Their version is not what most would call traditional Christmas music....maybe that is why I like it so much. Here is a bit of history from Wikipedia about the song "Carol of the Bells."
"Carol of the Bells" (also known as the "Ukrainian Bell Carol") is a choral miniature work originally composed by the Ukrainian composer and Ukrainian autocephalic orthodox priest Mykola Dmytrovych Leontovych. Throughout the piece, a 4 note motif is used as an ostinato and was taken from an ancient pagan Ukrainian New Year's chant known in Ukrainian as "Shchedryk". The original work was intended to be sung a cappella.
The composition was premiered in December 1916 by students at Kiev University and was introduced to Western audiences by the Ukrainian National Chorus during its concert tour of Europe and the Americas. It premiered in the United States on October 5, 1921, at Carnegie Hall and was later adapted into English language version by Peter Wilhousky in the 1930s.
Happy Holidays to all and Enjoy your Christmas Music......

15 comments:

MaryAnne said...

Great choice, there is some amazing Ukrainian music!

Allison said...

The Trans-Siberian Orchestra version was so fun! I turned up the music from your playlist and my kids all came over and started dancing to it.

Ratliffs said...

I LOVE the Transiberian Orchestra!!! Love them, LOVE THEM! I think I start listening to them in about September! :D

Montserrat said...

I too love their hyped up versions of songs. Carol of the Bells was also fun to learn to play on the piano - much like Pachelbel's Canon in D where it starts off simple and then increases in difficulty as you go along.

Ratliffs said...

One of my new all time favorite groups is the Celtic Women...I just found their version of this song...its kind of like Trans siberian meets Celtic Women! Go listen to it if you get the chance...its awesome!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKrx-4Awe70&feature=related

James and Aimee said...

This is my son's favorite right now. He is playing it in band this year. It is wonderful.

crabapple farm said...

I always enjoy the things you post about. And wow, I haven't thought of The Andrew's Sisters forever!

Scrappy Girl said...

I love Christmas music. My fave song is "This Christmas." Very interesting information! Love the cute snowy blog look!

Cynthia said...

I agree with you on that song. I love the rise and fall of the music- it's a powerful piece. Thanks for the background history of it. Fascinating.

Gail said...

Beautiful!

Redhoodoos said...

Love that song. My daughter is going to sing it at her school's Christmas Concert. Thanks for the history behind it!!

Jeannelle said...

I have that Trans-Siberian Orchestra CD, too, and I love it! Christmas songs done in a whole new way. I had listened to your playlist the other day and noticed you had Carol of the Bells.....good idea, I hadn't even thought to search for Christmas music on Playlist!

Mommily said...

I always enjoy this song when I hear it. I did not know name of it. Thanks for including the song. I had fun listening to it as I read your blog.

kjha said...

I love this one too! Too many to choose from I think. You can also listen to the trans-siberian orchestras version on Youtube...very fun.

Redhoodoos said...

Psst - your secret santa wanted me to pass along the word that you will receive a christmas package sometime early next week. =)